Re: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 17:55:43 EDT

> Of course you are not the only one who finds that evolution provides
> helpful guidance in addressing natural evil. This is pretty common and
> obviously this concern predates Darwin and was one of the theological
> concerns that motivated theories in the historical sciences that break
> the link between God and creation. That is, it seems that creation
> does not reflect divine will so divine action must not be responsible,
> or not be efficacious. Natural history must be the result of
> naturalistic phenomena (and hence, no detectability of God's design).

I do not have the time to discuss these issues at length -- although
they have been so discussed on this list in the past. However, the
above is NOT my view. I think that a lot of the problem in dialogue
over this issue is that people respond to preconceptions of others
views rather than to the views themselves. Creation does reflect the
divine will. God is responsible for death and pain in the natural
world and for catastrophic natural events The Bible indicates nothing
less. The issue is how do these natural events and processes fit into
God's creative will -- into the very good creation. This is a
thoroughly orthodox view of creation theology.

Your remarks seem to involve what I would see as a contrived conflict
due to a particular view of what "evolution" means and a particular
view of what "creation" means. In my speaking and writing, "evolution"
means "the common descent of all living things from a common ancestor
through descent with modification." "Creation" means "God's action to
bring into existence all of physical reality according to God's will
and purpose, and to maintain that reality in its being." It includes
the theological idea of "providence" that George murphy has so
eloquently explained over the years. The above are not in conflict.

Keith