Re: It's the Bible or evolution

From: Cornelius Hunter <ghunter2099@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 16:25:00 EDT

Keith:

Of course you are not the only one who finds that evolution provides helpful
guidance in addressing natural evil. This is pretty common and obviously
this concern predates Darwin and was one of the theological concerns that
motivated theories in the historical sciences that break the link between
God and creation. That is, it seems that creation does not reflect divine
will so divine action must not be responsible, or not be efficacious.
Natural history must be the result of naturalistic phenomena (and hence, no
detectability of God's design).

This is all well and good, but I do not see how one could make the case that
Christians ought to view this as orthodox thinking. Scripture does not give
us a picture of creation not representing divine will. Quite the opposite.
In several places we are explicitly told creation does represent divine
will. Take the latter chapters of Job, for instance. God takes credit for
all manner of designs. He explains to Job, for example, that the ostrich
does not care for her young very well because ...? Because God allowed for
naturalistic processes to create the ostrich, and they didn't do a very good
job? No, because God did not endow her with wisdom.

Clearly there is a conflict between evolution and orthodoxy, so I don't
think that the conflict view is "simply false." A way to avoid this would
be to remake the theory of evolution such that it is considered to be merely
God's deterministic creation tool, but of course this is not evolution as we
know it. The point is not whether common descent or evolution, *per se* can
be viewed as orthodox. Of course they can when the additional evolutionary
thinking is not attached. But this is not what is meant by these terms.
Common descent and evolution are used to refer to the idea that there is a
break in the link between God and creation, such that designs in creation do
not represent divine will. How can this be orthodox?

--Cornelius