Re: The greatest challenge facing mankind

From: Mccarrick, Alan D CIV NSWCCD Philadelphia, 9212 <alan.mccarrick@navy.mil>
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 09:08:43 EDT

Janice,

I thought Crichton's comments were arguing against a environmental straw man - that nature is so pretty and gentle. I call that the Walt Disney version of nature. Christians too sometimes fall into that categories when we say the "beauty, orderliness and creativity of the world" shows us God's handiwork. We forget the destructiveness, death that is also a real part of the physical world. That also shows of something of God. Of course, some would characterize those items as purely the result of sin in the world. I have my doubt that volcanoes are the result of sin.

I do not know how many thinking environmentalists really ignore the harsher side of natural processes, but there must be some.

Christians sometimes discount any environmental concern because we might be siding with others whose theology we don't like. Schaeffer called them co-belligerents. I do not think that Christians can be "hands-off" deep ecologists. We are commanded to "tend" the garden as it were - to use wisely with the future generations in mind. Natural systems do have carrying capacities for utilization, it is over utilization that leads to destruction.

I'm sure my thoughts are not novel at all.

In my Environmental Science course, the students study the kind of "rulers" that God expects us to be in the form of rules and regulations God gave to kings, masters, and husbands. In each case, God's instructions are for the kind of ruler very different than we actually see.

Alan McCarrick