When Giving Becomes Cruel

From: Glenn Morton <glenn_morton@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 08:06:31 EDT

One of the things I have seen here is that giving is not always helpful under all circumstances. A case in point is New Orleans. If we rebuild the city and put the poor people back into their rental homes which will bo underwater again in a few years, condemning those people to more pain and hardship, is the giving moral? I have serious doubts. If by being nice now, I make someone suffer in the future, is that really being nice.

There is a beggar kid on the streets here. He plays the Er Hu just abysmally. My driver has seen people giving him money and has gotten very mad about it. My driver says the kid should be in school and that if people didn't give him money, he might be in school. THere is a certain logic to it. It would appear that the kids parents are using this dirty little guy to beg for them. I accidentally found out who his parents are. An adult man approached me, begging at the Pan Jia Yuen, several miles south of my apartment. The next day I went to a local food store that carries lots of American goodies. The man was there, along with the Er Hu kid and a woman, I presume his mother. These people are definitely professionals. In such a case, is giving to the kid, or for that matter, the parents, moral? Once again, I have serious doubts about it because by being nice today, I hurt the kids chances in society tomorrow.

Third case. My youngest son was a wee bit wild. At 14 he started running with a rather strange group of kids. Christian parents told their children to have nothing to do with my son. At 16, he tried to kill himself and we had to put him in a hospital for a few weeks. During this time, he told me that he hated my guts and wished I were dead(something every father hates to hear). We got him straightened out enough to release to society again, but he got into the drug crowd. When he came home after his first year at college on probation and obviously thinking classes were optional, the question arose as to whether or not to help him during his troubles. Once again, helping him became a moral issue. If he flunked out, what should I do?

Only later will I say what I did do (right or wrong, it was what I did).

glenn
http://home.entouch.net/dmd/dmd.htm

Yahoo! for Good