Re: The Universe in a Single Atom

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 17:44:51 EDT

I suppose Peacocke has been an influence on me for over 25 years since I read his 1978 Bampton Lectures. I then discovered that in the late 50s when he want to relate his science to theology he went to visit my uncle Grenville Yarnold who was a physicist turned theologian for advice . (All 3 of us are Anglican clergy). I both like and respect Arthur, though we disagree with each other.

However I do agree that he does let science call the tune and of course eliminates miracles as this is not the way God works. I am not to happy with his panentheism, but my most serious objection is the fact that his theology basically has no atonement in it. He pushes the liberal anglo-catholic emphasis on the incarnation to the extreme and virtually crosses out the cross. That was the comment of one or two when he spoke to our diocese a year or two ago.

Now I would say that most ASA and CIS types have a creative dissonance present as there are unresolved issues of faith and science, Arthur has no dissonance as "science" takes over and that of a "modernist" sort which precludes the activity of God whether in "miracles"( whatever they are) and creation ex nihilo in favour of panentheism. Ultimately his theology is too rarefied to have any cutting edge except to a liberal Christian who wishes to hold on to Christ when he's scuttled his faith. He does regard CIS and thus ASA as far too biblicist .

Could I suggest that YEC is trying to cut the Gordian knot of dissonance between faith and science in a very different way.

Michael