RE: Is evolution really the central theory for all of biology?

From: Hofmann, Jim <jhofmann@exchange.fullerton.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 11:19:32 EDT

Published online before print September 19, 2005
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 10.1073/pnas.0501046102
Cell Biology
An evolutionary proteomics approach identifies substrates of the
cAMP-dependent protein kinase

( Ras proteins | sequence conservation | stationary phase )

Yelena V. Budovskaya *, Joseph S. Stephan *, Stephen J. Deminoff, and
Paul K. Herman

Department of Molecular Genetics, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
43210

Edited by Anthony J. Pawson, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada,
and approved August 12, 2005 (received for review February 7, 2005)

Protein kinases are important mediators of much of the signal
transduction that occurs in eukaryotic cells. Unfortunately, the
identification of protein kinase substrates has proven to be a difficult
task, and we generally know few, if any, of the physiologically relevant
targets of any particular kinase. Here, we describe a sequence-based
approach that simplified this substrate identification process for the
cAMP-dependent protein kinase (PKA) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. In this
method, the evolutionary conservation of all PKA consensus sites in the
S. cerevisiae proteome was systematically assessed within a group of
related yeasts. The basic premise was that a higher degree of
conservation would identify those sites that are functional in vivo.
This method identified 44 candidate PKA substrates, 5 of which had been
described. A phosphorylation analysis showed that all of the identified
candidates were phosphorylated by PKA and that the likelihood of
phosphorylation was strongly correlated with the degree of target site
conservation. Finally, as proof of principle, the activity of one
particular target, Atg1, a key regulator of autophagy, was shown to be
controlled by PKA phosphorylation in vivo. These data therefore suggest
that this evolutionary proteomics approach identified a number of PKA
substrates that had not been uncovered by other methods. Moreover, these
data show how this approach could be generally used to identify the
physiologically relevant occurrences of any protein motif identified in
a eukaryotic proteome.

________________________________

size=2 width="50%" align=left>

Author contributions: Y.V.B., J.S.S., S.J.D., and P.K.H. designed
research; Y.V.B., J.S.S., and S.J.D. performed research; Y.V.B., J.S.S.,
S.J.D., and P.K.H. contributed new reagents/analytic tools; Y.V.B.,
J.S.S., S.J.D., and P.K.H. analyzed data; and Y.V.B., J.S.S., and P.K.H.
wrote the paper.

*Y.V.B. and J.S.S. contributed equally to this work.

To whom correspondence should be addressed.

Paul K. Herman, E-mail: herman.81@osu.edu <mailto:herman.81@osu.edu>

www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.0501046102

Jim Hofmann