Re: Article on two books in latest PSCF

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 13:39:45 EDT

>At 12:55 PM 9/21/2005, Ted Davis wrote:

>Two years ago I participated in a conference on the history of the
>metaphor of "two books" at the well known scientific conference center in
>Erice, Sicily. (Talk about a place to hold a conference--2500 feet above
>the Mediterranean, breathtaking views from all over the quaint medieval
>town.) There I met Fr Guiseppe Tanzella-Nitti, an astronomer and
>theologian who teaches at the pontifical university in Rome. He gave a
>terrific paper, "The Two Books Prior to the Scientific Revolution," and I
>asked him to submit it to PSCF even though it has already been published
>elsewhere in the meantime (in Annales Theologici, the journal of his
>department).
>
>I cannot recall seeing a clearer, more accurate, and more comprehensive
>treatment of this important topic. Anyone care to discuss it here? ~ ted

### This perspective speaks for me:

".....From these historical perspectives, it is concluded:

(a) that Flood geology models must be sought which do justice to the
evidences for a significant geologic history;
(b) that most of the arguments for long timescales are paradigm-driven
rather than scientific;
(c) that a thoroughly Christian worldview is crucial to the development of
a more reliable understanding of geologic evidences, and this will require
the abandonment of the "double revelation" approach to knowledge.

It is suggested that whilst conclusions (a) and (b) are of direct relevance
to Bible-believing students of geology, conclusion (c) is relevant to all
Christians concerned about the scientific enterprise. What is to be made of
statements like this from Marston and Forster (1989)?
"We would, then, defend the classical Baconian approach, which was rooted
in earlier Christian ideas and has shaped the whole of Christian and
scientific thinking on relationships of science and theology" (p.268).
They are right that the Baconian approach has been enormously influential,
but if the thesis of this paper is correct, and the Baconian approach does
not represent a robust methodology for scholarly Christian work, an urgent
need for reformation lies before us."

Source
Religious and philosophical inputs to geochronology by David J. Tyler
http://www.biblicalcreation.org.uk/scientific_issues/bcs080.html

Janice