Re: engineering questions re. Katrina

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 12:28:51 EDT

My understanding is that a large barge broke its moorings and broke through the levee bounding a canal.

Bill Yoder <BnJYoder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:Ruth,

In my mind the biggest immediate issue in this disaster is that the
levees broke. Why did the levees break? They should not have broken. I
suspect that the amount of water that flowed over the levees would not
have caused anywhere near the amount of flooding that was caused by the
water that flowed through the breaches.

Apparently the water that overflowed the levees ran down the other side
and washed out the foundation of the levees. This soon weakened them and
they failed. Is this a reasonable way to design a levee? IMO this is
represents a major failure in levee design. I am confident that levees
can be designed to preclude this.

Bill Yoder

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.