From: Cornelius Hunter <ghunter2099@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 08:33:20 EDT

Terry:

In addition to the fossil evidence, you mentioned the nested hierarchy evidence from comparative anatomy. Let's have a look at this one, according to the criteria:

====================
A. The evidence should not include problems for the theory (obviously).

B. The evidence should be the fulfillment of a somewhat narrow prediction of the theory. That is, if the evidence as well as several other outcomes are all accommodated by the theory, then the evidence is not compelling.

C. The evidence severely damages all alternative theories (need to be careful not to misrepresent or ignore the alternative theories, of course).

The nested hierarchy data suggest or reveal:

1. The designs of the species seem to be clustered, and the clusters seem to cluster in larger groups, and so on, in what is called a nested hierarchical pattern.
2. There are a great many exceptions that violate the pattern, at all levels, such that, for example, a paper out of Doolittle's lab has called for a "relaxation of tree thinking."
3. There is massive convergence, meaning similar designs show up in distant clusters.
It seems obvious that 3 fails on A, but I realize you may disagree. Setting that aside then, obviously 2 fails on A and 1-3 all fail on B. Also, none succeed on C. So as with the fossil evidence, I don't see how this can be compelling evidence for evolution.

--Cornelius