From: Cornelius Hunter <ghunter2099@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 17:43:44 EDT

Terry:

It seems to me that to be compelling, an evidence should fulfill some these criteria to some reasonable degree, and not fail on them:

A. The evidence should not include problems for the theory (obviously).

B. The evidence should be the fulfillment of a somewhat narrow prediction of the theory. That is, if the evidence as well as several other outcomes are all accommodated by the theory, then the evidence is not compelling.

C. The evidence severely damages all alternative theories (need to be careful not to misrepresent or ignore the alternative theories, of course).

Make sense?

The fossil record suggests or reveals:

1. Dramatically increasing complexity of life forms over time
2. Many extinctions
3. Rapid appearance of new species
4. Stasis of species once they appear
5. Rapid increase in biosphere diversity followed by winnowing of diversity (reverse of the traditional evolutionary tree, if you will) due to extinction. This occurs repeatedly.
6. Lineages (ie, there is rapid appearance, but usually the design is not radically different from earlier designs).

I think 1 and 3 fail on A but realize you may disagree. Setting that aside then, I think that clearly 1-5 fail on B. None succeed on C. The only positive is 6 which succeeds on B. So, with 5 evidences, of a total of 6, failing on B and only 1 out of 6 succeeding on B, I don't see how this can be compelling evidence for evolution. Can you explain?

--Cornelius