RE: Message from Phil Skell

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 14:43:04 EDT

In a recent essay in the Los Angles Times, "Why Darwin's still a
scientific hotshot,"
http://www.calendarlive.com/books/bookreview/cl-bk-watson18sep18,0,52908
1.htmlstory?coll=cl-bookreview the author James D. Watson writes, " He
(Darwin) could not explain what gave rise to the variations observed in
organisms or how these and other traits were transmitted from generation
to generation." Individual variations drive the process of
evolutionary change, witness dog breeding. However, evolutionary theory
has not found a mechanism that generates those individual variations. In
fact, without individual variations, evolutionary theory has nothing to
work on. The research of Mendel gave the necessary hereditary laws that
would allow preserving traits, etc. from one generation to the next. I
know that the notion of mutation would have to bring in quantum
mechanics and so indeterminism. However, is the work of Mendel a
purveyor of quantum mechanics a la par of that of Willard Gibbs in
showing that there is no such thing a classical statistical mechanics?
Gibbs paradox brought in quantum mechanics before quantum mechanics was
known.

Moorad