Re: engineering questions re. Katrina

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 10:34:02 EDT

If New Orleans is rebuilt, people must accept that there will be no perfect
solutions. There will be more hurricane threats, the government will order
or recommend evacuation, and the hurricane will turn aside or weaken at the
last minute, as they have done so many times before. For most, these false
alarm evacuations will be nothing more than a waste of time and money, but
for some such as the elderly or hospital patients, these evacuations may
themselves cause death. As horrified as we now are with the nursing home
administrators who did not get their patients out, we need to keep in mind
that many of these facilities had lost patients before during evacuations
that turned out not to be necessary.

It seems that at the very least, those type of institutions should not be
rebuilt near the danger zones.

I have no doubt that New Orleans will become increasing uninhabitable with
time. Unfortunately, I know of no way to convince people anxious to rebuild
to think of potentially diastrous consequences 50, 100 or 200 years down the
line, rather than short-term comfort and/or economic gain. And to be honest.
I don't see believers behaving much differently than non-believers when it
comes to those types of decisions. Could this be a case when our "the Lord
will provide" attitude works against the common good?

__
Louise M. Freeman, PhD
Psychology Dept
Mary Baldwin College