Re: engineering questions re. Katrina

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 07:17:33 EDT

Terry,

The public official who said that he thought New Orleans should not be
rebuilt was the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dennis Hastert. He
beat a hasty retreat before the outcry. To make such a statement when so
many people who live in and love New Orleans were suffering from the storm
seemed particularly insensitive.

I believe the engineering problems are severe indeed. On the other hand,
cities have a life of their own and a history, and New Orleans has been a
particularly rich one. How does one relate this factor to the environmental
factors and the engineering problems? A question that begs for a good
discussion.

Bob Schneider