Re: engineering questions re. Katrina

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 01:12:34 EDT

Ruth,

I like your questions, but was told by someone that the response to
the suggestion that people shouldn't live in New Orleans was
mentioned early on by some official and he was chided severely for it
and eventually retracted. If anyone knows the details of this, I'd be
interested in them.

I'm reminded a bit of an article by Davis Young (again I'm only
familiar with it by word of mouth) suggesting that geologically/
geographically some places on earth are not fit for human habitation--
say, earthquake zones, near volcanoes, stormy coastlines, incessant
flood regions, etc.

Finally, from an engineer's perspective what's the difference between
New Orleans and the Netherlands? Is it fewer storms? Better engineering?

TG

Terry M. Gray, Ph.D.
Computer Support Scientist
Chemistry Department