Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Re no death prior to the fall....

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 19:03:30 EDT

Well, I'm a little embarrassed at the oversimplification! But upon
reflection, I made the assumption that Cain and Abel's wives came from
outside the Adamic line (they must have come from somewhere, so the
count for that second generation is 4 adults. I confess to unwitting
making the "came from somewhere else" assumption apply for mates of
subsequent generations as well. That would create the progression 2
(Adam and Eve): 4 (Cain and Abel + 2 spouses); 8 (Cain and Abel's 2
kids apiece + 4 spouses): etc., the progression I described.

OK, that might be an unrealistic assumption if the Adamic folks
eventually turn to marying within the "tribe", the Adamic line. On the
other hand, perhaps more than two (e.g., 4?) children per couple is not
an unrealistic assumption considering that the childbearing couples do
not die.Would these be offsetting? I dunno? But why not? My cousins
and I have siblings ranging from 2 to 12 in number.

Also, there is the matter of those folks from which the wives of Cain
and Abel came. Are they also having more children among themselves? If
that is a parallel "society" you might find something approximating a
1:1 mapping between any child in the Adamic line and one in the "other"
line. That too would would then account for the population progression I
described.

OK, if none of these work for you, then the progression slows down, but
a purely linear growth rate makes for a very restrictive (and in my mind
unlikely) constraint..

As to the partriarchs being born of old parents, that appears not to be
any norm, instead something exceptional as a feature of the story.
Brides in the OT times seemed to be selected young. Also, families
seemed to be routinely larger than two children in the OT.

Or so it seemeth to me.

Regards - JimA

.