From: Cornelius Hunter <ghunter2099@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 14:06:09 EDT

Terry:

> Cornelius,
>
> Some may argue that pre-determined designs are not possible, but it is
> certainly not a necessary view of evolution. This is why your arguments
> are so confusing to some of us.

I don't understand why my arguments are confusing for this reason. I hope I
did not leave the impression that I think evolution entails the assumption
that pre-determined designs are not possible. Evolutionary thinking arose
from the claim that divine action *ought not* occur very often, not that it
*cannot* occur, or that divine action necessarily has limited efficacy.

> Now I happen to agree with you that to make such a claim even about
> "special creationism" entails knowledge of God's plan and purposes and is
> fundamentally a theological argument. I don't believe, however, that the
> case for evolution rests on such theology.
>
> TG

Well let's review the relevant facts.

1. Modern evolutionary thinking arose in the 17th and 18th centuries within
Christian thought as a conclusion of theological arguments.
2. Evolutionary theories (cosmological as well as biological) were claimed
early on to be facts, as a conclusion of theological arguments.
3. Today, evolutionary theories are routinely claimed to be facts, though
this is not established by scientific evidence. And such claims, when
elucidated, employ theological arguments to make their case.

--Cornelius