Post-Darwinist: Discussion of evil in a science journal

From: Denyse O'Leary <oleary@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 11:19:15 EDT

Today's posts at the Post-Darwinist 2005 09 16

Here's an encouraging development: A reasonable discussion of the question
of evil in a science journal:

Theology and disaster studies: The need for dialogue
David K. Chester
<em>Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research,</em> Volume 146, Issue 4
, 1 September 2005, Pages 319-328. Chester is at the Department of
Geography, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK

The abstract notes, for example, "In many disaster prone regions, religion
is an essential element of culture and must be carefully considered in the
planning process, and not simply dismissed as a symptom of ignorance,
superstition and backwardness. "

Why do I see this as an encouraging development? Because, while covering the
intelligent design controversy, I became aware of a high level of
backwardness is dealing with theological argument.

Read more at http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/

--
Read brief excerpts from my book, By Design or by Chance?: The Growing
Controversy On the Origins of Life in the Universe (Augsburg Fortress, 2004)
at
http://www.designorchance.com/press.html
Study Guide:
http://www.arn.org/arnproducts/books/b088sk.htm
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0806651776/qid=1109790930/sr=8
-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-8617533-8799957?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
My blog:
http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/
(go to other blogs from here)
Denyse O'Leary