Re: Teaching Evolution - Childs Perspective

From: Mccarrick, Alan D CIV NSWCCD Philadelphia, 9212 <alan.mccarrick@navy.mil>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 07:49:22 EDT

Terry,
I always found Gould a very entertaining writer. He certainly held strongly that science and religion occupied exclusive arenas (NOMA - Non Overlapping Magestera - my Latin spelling is suspect - did Gould invert this term?). Science occupies the "real" world of facts, and religion... well.. uh... um... makes us feel better... says things about morals (which science should better inform us)... comforts us in sickness and death. I sensed that he relegated religion to a purely subjective world. Polkinghorn describes this view of religion as "whistling in the dark" and "loving lies" told to comfort children. I think that describes Gould's religion.
Yes, Gould sees a role for religion - a small silly role indeed.
I wish I new more about Gould's last days, whether he wrote or talked much about spiritual things.

Al McCarrick

Terry wrote:
I'm quite surprised that you lump Gould and Dawkins together. I never counted Gould as a believer, but I never counted him in any way as an advocate of scientism.