Re: Teaching Evolution - Childs Perspective

From: Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 20:29:49 EDT

Concerning the story posted below:

> > One day a 6 year old girl was sitting in a
> > classroom. The teacher was going to explain evolution to the
> > children.
> >
> > The teacher asked a little boy: Tommy do you see the
> > tree outside?
> >
> > TOMMY: Yes.
> >
> > TEACHER: Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
> >
> > TOMMY: Yes.
> >
> > TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
> >
> > TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the sky.
> >
> > TEACHER: Did you see God?
> >
> > TOMMY: No.
> >
> > TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't there.
> He just doesn't exist.

<snip>

The above is symptomatic of, and reinforces, popular false views of
both evolutionary science and science education. The above does not
have the slightest relationship to evolution -- the only connection is
the utterly false view that evolution is atheistic. Therefore to teach
evolution is to teach atheism. Secondly it implies that public science
educators seek to teach atheism. Another utterly false view. Any
public school teacher would rightfully be insulted by the above.

Keith