From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 20:19:58 EDT

For some reason, the note I sent out earlier did not get posted, but Don Nield's note quoted some of the same passages and even more than I did from Dobzhansky's paper. I think that Dobzhansky's statement used as the title of the article does belong within a definition of science without quotation marks around it. I think it is demeaning to refer to it as a "sound bite." It is a generalization about the science of biology. Sound bite is the kind of tactic used in our present political and other cultural wars, and I don't think Dobzhansky was up to that. I question whether the statement in itself "entails theological claims." There are theological assertions made in the paper, but they are not, as I have read it, dependent upon the statement about biology and evolution. They reflect Dobzhansky's own Christian theology of creation, shared by many, that a belief in creation is not contrary to an acceptance of evolution. Dobzhansky's statement about biology and evolution would stand if he had been an atheist, which as a practicing Russian Orthodox Christian he most certainly was not.

Bob Schneider