RE: Public perceptions of science: was Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 11:11:28 EDT

The drastic difference between biology and physics is that the notion of
life enters the former while is totally foreign in the latter. The real
question is how much of biology can be reduced to atoms and molecules
without tackling the question of what life is. However, I believe that
life cannot be defined in terms of purely physical concepts. Of course,
people still talk of complex molecules like DNA as describing much of
what humans and animals are. Needless to say, the question of human
rationality and consciousness presupposes life but must represent an
astronomical jump in complexity, whichever way the problem is tackled.

Moorad