Is ID "devilish"

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 15:50:25 EDT

I meant for this to go to the list earlier today.

****

>>> "Michael Roberts" <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> 9/8/2005 5:08:06 PM
>>>writes:

Tonight a leading light of Christians in Science described ID to me as
devilish and needing to be stamped under foot. Is he just another r
Episcopalian leftie like Bob and myself?

Ted replies:
I don't think that ID is "devilish," despite my reservations about its
apparent "god-of-the-gaps" strategy. It's absolutely Christian (and Jewish,
and Muslim, and ... Platonistic for that matter) to believe in "design" as
something that is visible in the universe, to anyone who looks without
prejudice. It's also supportable from the Bible--that is, the biblical
writers clearly do proclaim the wisdom that undergirds the world, and they
do also (in the case of Paul's letter to the Romans) say that God's power is
*clearly seen* in the creation. Now we might fairly debate how exactly to
understand this--I'm sympathetic (very) to George's theology of the cross,
although I think that view can be overstated to the point of denying the
plain claim of Scripture in this case--but surely, the claim that design is
*evident* in the creation, however subtly (like Polkinghorne) or less subtly
(like Dembski), is not fairly called "devilish."

That's my two cents.

ted