Re: Public perceptions of science: was Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 13:18:07 EDT

An excellent comment Chris, there are too many who think that geology and
biology are less scientific than physics and chemistry. This is fuelled by
the origins science and operational science.

I n geology it is totally precise to say one rock is older than another
especially when you can give no further details (yes I have been in that
situation mapping in Precambrian). In fact a devotion with maths and giving
things to n decimal places can be inaccurate, if we cannot measure with
precision. I noted this as mathematical ideas were applied to structural
geology in the 60s. The maths was detailed but they overlooked the
geological features which were actually visible. I remember one such guy who
argued that the strike of some Precambrian strata was 350degrees. He did not
like it when I told him that it was 15 degrees and that this curved to 340
deg as was clear when you flew overhead, looked at aerial photos or just
measured dip and strike like a geologist in the 1820s.

I have found that both YEC and ID suffer from this prejudice against geology
and biology.

Another major issue and this is why my friend described ID as devilish is
that they fuel culture wars on and worse thrive on misrepresenting
"evolution" as do Johnson and Wells, and create mayhem with their efforts on
education trying to "teach the controversy" etc. Another factor is the lack
of concern for the environment and an unwillingness to see the issues, which
is not surprising if one cant accept the vast age of the earth. If ID was
purely an attempt to understand science I wouldn't be bothered, especially
those who are trying to find a plausible mechanism for an OE view without
evolution. It is their politicking which makes me see something more
sinister and dear Wells with Icons made be turn against ID

Michael