RE: Shell's Ingenious Approach To Oil Shale Is Pretty Slick

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 09:04:39 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu] On
Behalf Of Don Winterstein
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 7:30 PM

>The industry requires hype to function, or no wells would ever be drilled;
but it's best to catch it when it hatches rather than
>after it multiplies.

Ya, hurt me here. But you are correct. If one isn't a bit optimistic that
oil will be found, one can't get $20-$100 million dollars to drill a well.
But, I wouldn't call it hype. One does have to sell a prospect but that
doesn't imply that one is being untruthful about the potential.

I have not commented on the stupidities of the Shell report becaue I didn't
have the time. I would say I agree with your assessment that freezing a
boundary around the heated shale would be quite expensive. I would also say,
that if you heated the interior of this region, eventually the heat would
melt the ice allowing contaminating fluids to escape. The entire idea as
outlined in that newspaper article is ludicrous and shows why one should
never believe what one reads in the newspapers (and maybe not what one reads
on the internet).

This, of course, will not stop Janice from believing what she wants so
desparately to believe. But her believing it won't make it true.