Re: God's history (Was God the interactor)

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 11:37:06 EDT

--- George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com> wrote:

> Dave -
>
> To take your last 1st, I do NOT believe in a "time restricted deity" but in
> an eternal deity who is willing & able to be involved in the world's history.

And I take the same position. Dave, you quite correctly empyhasize that as
humans our perspective is restricted by the fact that we live in time. I see it
as a blind spot on your part that you cannot or will not acknowledge that
because we are bound by time, thinking about how the creator does or does not
participate in time is somewhat speculative.

Let me throw out another example. I develop real-time software for automotive
applications. My code thus "lives" in a different environment timewise from the
one I live in. Time is discrete instead of (as I preceive it anyway)
continuous. But I can in a sense enter into the environment my code executes in
by processing logged data and runnihng my code under the debugger. I can
trigger on events of interest to me, I can single step, and I can even change a
variable to see how that affects execution. Furthermore, if my code was a
conscious entity, it would have no means of knowing that I was intervening in
its environment. (unless I were smart enough to write some code that would
somehow communicate to my code that its author was perturbing it) It is
possible that God can enter our time in something like that way.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.