RE: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 19:43:46 EDT

I think you are confused about what Days of Proclamation and Revelatory days
are. In the 1850s Kurtz proposed that the days were seven days of visions.
Seven different visions given to the writer. That is best described by
Miller:

"Further, if we view the narrative as the description of a
series of visions, while we find it to be perfectly
reconcileable with the statement in other parts of Scripture,
that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, we remove,
with other difficulties, the only strong objection to the
opinion of those who regard the 'six days' as periods of
undefinable duration, and who may even believe that we are now
in the 'seventh day,'--the day of rest or of cessation from the
work of creation." ~ Hugh Miller, Testimony of the Rocks,(New
York: Hurst and Company, 1857) p. 183n

"'We treat the history of creation,' says Dr. Kurtz, 'with its
six days' work, as a connected series of so many prophetic
visions.'" ~ Hugh Miller, Testimony of the Rocks,(New York:
Hurst and Company, 1857) p. 205

"Only what man has himself seen or experienced can be the
subject of man's historical compositions. So that history, so
far as man can write it, can begin with but the point at which
he has entered into conscious existence, and end with the
moment that constitutes the present time. Beyond these points,
however, lies a great province of historic development,
existing on the one side as the Past, on the other side as the
Future....Dr. Kurtz goes on to argue that the pre-Adamic
history of the past being theologically in the same category as
the yet undeveloped history of the future, that record of its
leading events which occurs in the Mosaic narrative is simply
prophecy described backwards;...'Before the eye of the seer,'
he says, 'scene after scene is unfolded until at length, in the
seven of them, the course of creation, in its main momenta, has
been fully represented." ~ Hugh Miller, Testimony of the
Rocks," 1857), p. 181-182

        "'Why are you not content with the theory of Kurtz and Hugh
Miller, that the first chapter of Genesis consists of a series of
visions beheld by Moses?'"
Because it leaves us in the very difficulty I have just alluded
to: that of supposing that he could write in a disjointed and
unorderly manner. " Thomas Cooper, "The Mosaic Record of Creation" in
Evolution, The Stone Book, and The Mosaic Record of Creation, (London:
Hodder and Stroughton:1884), p. 170

The Days of Proclamation view is not that there were seven visions, but that
the writer is doing his best to describe the preplanning of the universe by
describing the proclamations as 'days', but since he is describing
pretemporal events, where there is no way to use temporal terms, it is an
inadequate description. (indeed, we humans are so limited to time that even
the term 'events' which I used is inadequate.). Days of proclamation has
God proclaiming the plans for the universe, not their actualization at that
instant. See http://home.entouch.net/dmd/daysofproclamation.htm