Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 14:29:09 EDT

Michael,
You're making hard slogging of this. It's very simple. There are those
who admit to giving scripture a figurative or allegorical interpretation,
often misusing the terms. For the others, "literal" is highly flexible,
so that the following holds: "My interpretation is literal. If yours
agrees with mine, it too is literal. If it disagrees, it is not literal."
There is usually an under-the-breath addition, "If you disagree with me,
you're a heretic."

The principle underlying the interpretation is very broad. If you look,
you'll find it in many guises and almost everywhere.
Dave