Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 08:12:51 EDT

Gregory,

I teach a college course in North Carolina in the New Testament as literature, and will next spring probably teach one on the Old Testament as literature. Of course, the works of Scripture are literature, and we too often ignore that fact. We know that the message comes in a medium. The literal sense of a scriptural text includes its literary form, and we need to pay attention to the latter in order to do justice to the former. As a biblical scholar once remarked, the writers of scripture used story to teach theology, and part of the appreciation of the theology comes through a sensitivity to the narrative techniques the storyteller uses. My appreciation, intellectual and spiritual, of Genesis 1 or, say, the Gospel of Mark is not lessened by an examination of their literary forms, rather increased. I can appreciate that Mark makes Jesus a character in his story while at the same time responding to the challenge his character makes to me the reader to accept him as the Messiah, with all that means for the Jesus Mark portrays.

Courses in the Bible as literature are common in American colleges and universities and even in some public high schools.

By "humanitarian" don't you mean "humanist"?

Bob Schneider