Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 07:25:59 EDT

Hah, I enjoyed this quip! Though, I presume that Michael assumes I and others who read this message are literate. Is this fair enough?

It is astonishing to think that a person who comes from such a word-based society as the USA would question the literalism of 'literally'. England (or Britain), home of the English language, may present a different case.

Are there a lack of courses in literature in America or Britain these days? The Foundations (first year general arts) course at my home university in Canada includes interpretation of first chapters of Genesis as (a piece of) literature.

Maybe this is not acceptable to theologians or deemed politically incorrect by humanitarians and disallowed elsewhere.

Cheers,
G. Arago

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=literal&x=4&y=18

Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
My problem is that I do not know what literally literally means. Does
literally literally mean literal, or can literally literally mean something
other that what literally literally means to the popular understanding of
literally. I literally cant get my head round what literally literally
means.

Believe it or not I am literally trying to be serious in elucidating what
literally literally means

Michael