Re: God the interactor (was God the tinkerer)

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 04:48:58 EDT

Dave,

Not so. What I am saying is that before God created time he created event sequence; and having once created it, he experiences it. Thus, "before" and "after" have meaning for God much as they do for us. (I'm assuming God has done things in addition to our space-time universe--including things prior to 14 billion years ago our time.)

Event sequence is not the same as time. Time as the measurable quantity we know requires regular periodic oscillations. So time requires space, because such oscillations (at least, as we know them) can occur only in space. The events God creates in general presumably do not require space and, if not, can have sequence but not sequence in time.

If God can experience event sequence in the absence of space-time, he likely can also experience event sequence in time much as we do. So he is the creator of time, but he is able to experience and interact with his creatures--time, us, etc. George's Latin does not conflict. I'm sure Augustine would not have ruled out God's ability to interact with his creatures; he himself experienced such interaction: "Tolle, lege!"

What are alternatives to divine "befores" and "afters"? God either 1) does nothing or 2) does everything continuously. If 1), why should anyone care? If 2), all his creatures should be eternal and unchanging as he would be, because he presumably has done everything continuously for all eternity. I offer instead that God can and does create new events after old events. Our universe is an example. And then he participates in the things he creates.

I claim further that he gets his satisfaction out of his ability to participate. That's what motivates him in the first place.

Don