Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 20:25:04 EDT

It seems to me that even "literal" interpretations of words like "day" or
"evening and morning" need not convey a message of chronology. "Day" as 24
hours and "evening and morning" as literal beginning and ending of a day
seem to have a straightforward interpretation of completeness, consistent
with the significance of "seven" as completeness. I don't know that we have
to label the words as being allegory or literary devices or chronology.
Virtually every phrase and word of Gen. 1 carries a powerful message of
completeness. God created everything and there was nothing he did not
create. The message reverberates throughout the chapter in the strongest
literal sense. That seems like a literal interpretation to me without any
implication of what we consider chronology or duration or sequence.

Randy