scientific savvy

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 20:10:51 EDT

Yesterday's NYTimes article on the aptitude of Americans in science, http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/30/science/30profile.html, underscores why we will have great difficulty making progress in YEC debate using logic and scientific arguments. As many of you have pointed out, it's a biblical issue and that's where the discussion needs to focus.

Some excerpts:

While scientific literacy has doubled over the past two decades, only 20 to 25 percent of Americans are "scientifically savvy and alert," he said in an interview. Most of the rest "don't have a clue." At a time when science permeates debates on everything from global warming to stem cell research, he said, people's inability to understand basic scientific concepts undermines their ability to take part in the democratic process.
 Dr. Miller's data reveal some yawning gaps in basic knowledge. American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.

I knew the problem was bad but I didn't realize we had 20% geocentrists. Michael, I wonder how the British numbers would compare.

Randy