Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 12:43:20 EDT

I have to admit that I cannot go along with these views expressed by Iain, Glenn and Peter, but I cannot get worked up about it. It is about 1- 3 on the Richter scale of disagreement - YEC is 9 or 10!!

I think it downplays the literary and theological nature of Genesis which is to express THAT God is Creator and puts it in a specific style. I see Gen One much more as a hymn to the Creator rather than anything else and could be compared more to G M Hopkins' wonderful poem God's Grandeur than God's blueprint. Iain's idea leaves me cold but it may be helpful to some.

To me it is trying to get some kind of scientific ratification from Genesis rather than seeing that its purpose was to convince the Hebrews that the one God is the only Creator to a pre-scientific culture.

To be gently controversial I can see why this appeals to some who have been YEC in the past. However I do think we are closer than may seem

Michael