Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 06:16:37 EDT

On 8/22/05, Peter Ruest <pruest@mysunrise.ch> wrote:

> Iain Strachan wrote (21 Aug 2005 21:02:38 +0100):
> > I'd take issue with one point:

> > I don't really like the word "relegating" here as it implies that it's
> > somehow worth less than the allegory.
>
> I am not sure I understand what you mean here. What would be "worth less than
> the allegory"?

Sorry for the confusion! It was a not-thinking typo. What I meant
was that the word "relegating" implied that an allegorical
interpretation was worth less than a literal interpretation.

Need more time to take your other comments on board; only just
returned from holiday.

Concerning whether it's a historical narrative, doesn't the fact that
"evening and morning" are written for day 1, and the sun wasn't
created till day 4 imply again that a literal/historical
interpretation is not indicated here, and that maybe this is a
literary device? Like Nicodemus saying "How can a man enter his
mother's womb again", I could ask "How can there be evening and
morning before there's a sun?", and perhaps I'd be missing the point
just as much as Nicodemus was.

As a software engineer, I tend to see Gen 1 as a kind of requirements
document for the functioning system. "Let there be" seems like a set
of specifications. I might design a piece of software with many
different components & specify in a design document that there shall
be a module that displays a graph of the data on a screen. The point
at which I actually "create" or write the software that does this, is
not necessarily in the same order as the various components appear in
the design document. So Gen 1: is perhaps a blueprint for a "very
good" creation. In the very last book of the bible we have a series
of visions that show the restoration of creation to what God
originally intended. In between lies a history whose principal
element is how we get saved and become eventually part of that perfect
creation.

Iain