RE: Global warming problems in homeschool text

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 00:54:56 EDT

It may be one of the driest places on earth but one must realize that the 2
mile wide glacial valleys seen in that picture were carved by ice in the
past, which means that at some time in the past, massive glaciers were in
those valleys. Indeed, there was one massive glacier about 100 miles south
on the NW coast of Greenland, but the north was devoid of them. I would
also say that the streams in the bottom of the canyons look relatively new
as they don't have a lot of oxbow lakes around them.

As to the dryness, I suspect that if the Arctic Ocean does lose its icecap,
that the entire Canadian and Greenland arctic will suffer massive snowfalls
during the winter, which might start another glacial age--a possible
negative feedback loop.

In another note, Michael Roberts wrote:

>A parallel from the Ice ages is that there is virtually no glaciation in
>South Dakota including the Black hills as not enough snow fell to have any
>effect. SD was very cold and very dry (no Budweiser either) Thus no tills,
>erratics etc etc unlike Wisconsin and New England , not to mention over
here
>as I am perched on a drumlin.Yet there are signs of glaciation at 10000ft
>west of Bryce Canyon and there are signs of glaciation at lowish
>levels -3000ft all round the sierra Nevada

Western South Dakota was never glaciated, but parts of Wisconsin seem not to
have been glaciated as well. There is a drift free area in Wisconsin. This
is from an old book. You should see the photo, that rock could not have
withstood glacial action.:

"Fig 173 Stand Rock in the Driftless Area of Wisconsin a feature which could
not possibly have persisted in glaciated territory." Ralph Stockman Tarr and
Lawrence Martin, College Physiography, (New York: The MacMillan Co., 1914),
p. 262

"In the state of Wisconsin in the upper Mississippi valley and, to smaller
extent, in the adjacent states of Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois is an area
of over 10,000 square miles was not covered by the Labrador and Keewatin ice
sheets of the continental glacier between which it lay. It contains no
glacial drift and is, therefore, known as the Driftless Area, and advanced
over 300 miles farther south at the maximum of glaciation." Ralph Stockman
Tarr and Lawrence Martin, College Physiography, (New York: The MacMillan
Co., 1914), p. 263

A newer book still attests to the problem

"A related example summarized by Hale (1943, p. 513) is the problem posed by
sandstone buttes standing within a glaciated district in central Wisconsin
and themselves lacking evidence of having been glaciated. Were they not
modified by the ice sheet or were they modified and later 'recragged'
following deglaciation?" Richard Foster Flint, Glacial and Quaternary
Geology, (New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1971), p. 143