RE: God as tinkerer

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 05:26:40 EDT

Don Wrote on Saturday, August 27, 2005 4:03 PM

>>Dave Siemens wrote:
>>
>>"Logic is an unconditional route to truth,...."

>You're right, provided topics are restricted to mathematics or logic. I
use a more general definition of truth: "...the quality of being in
accordance with experience, facts, or reality; conformity with fact."
[Webster's New World College Dictionary] As you know, the crucial concern
with logic in terms of real-world applicability is whether or not the
underlying assumptions are valid. When we're talking about exotic things
like being outside time, I have little confidence they are.

I would put it this way, Logic is an unconditional route to consistency.
The same problem of the adequacy of the assumptions applies to mathematics.
I would cite the fifth Euclidean postulate as an example of such applying to
mathematics. Is space flat or curved? Is mathematical space flat or curved?

But having logic be the route only to consistency isn't a bad thing. If one
is inconsistent, then one knows he is wrong. One can't prove he is right
merely by being consistent.