Re: God as tinkerer

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 22:56:41 EDT

--- "D. F. Siemens, Jr." <dfsiemensjr@juno.com> wrote:

> Great, Bill! So with God, everything must happen--no exceptions. Jesus is
> the incarnate Son and he is not the incarnate Son. He can create a rock
> so big that he can't lift it. Contrary to the scriptural declaration, God
> can lie. So Satan is not the father of lies.

NO! If we try to speculate on what can and cannot be in the absence of
Scripture, then there's no limit to what we can conclude. But Scripture teaches
that Jesus is the incarnate son, God cannot lie and Satan is the father of
lies.

You brought up the old chestnut I said I wasn't going to bring up. I don;'t
know how theologians respond to this one, but my observation is that God can
make a stone of any size he desires, and he can move a stone of any size, so
the question doesn't imply any limitation.

> As to uncertainty, it functions as it does because we are restricted to
> one-dimensional time, one point at a time, though what we observe may not
> correspond to what an observer in movement measures.

True, but I think our problem is that we try to represent entities that cannot
properly be called particles as particles. We ought to trust the math of the
Schroedinger equation and realize that an electron (for example) is an entity
whose mass and momentum are distributed according to the Schroedinger equation.
It doesn't make sense to speculate whether God knows the mass and momentum
simultaneously, because the concepts ddon't make sense.

In any case Scripture represents a constraint on o0ur rerasoning, and Scripture
clearly teaches that God can interact with creatures like us who function
within the constraints of time.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs