Re: analogies, and models of God (was tinkering God

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 18:58:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/2005 12:50:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jwstahl@geneva.edu writes:
In the case of the trinity, (and the incarnation and the meaning of the
sacraments, and maybe some other concepts), scripture refers to them as mystery.
Analogies can help us gain some understanding, but we must never press them too
far.
imho

Before the self sacrifice, the son is "subject" and the Father is "object,"
e.g. the self is its own subject and what is not self, the rest of God's
manifestations, is object. When the self is sacrificed, the subject is gone and
what is left is object. Now with the focus of your attention no longer on the
self, attention necessarily becomes focused on the only thing that is left, what
was formerly object. What was formerly object is now the subject of your
attention. The Catholic catechism defines heaven as being in the presence of God.
You cannot be in the presence of God if you are the focus of your own
attention. God must be the focus of your attention and not yourself.

What propels man to abandon the self is his spirit. If a man has the
necessary spirit and succeeds in abandoning himself, he is literally wholly spirit or
he is filled with the holy spirit and then, without a self to focus his
attention on, God is all that is left.
Here is the full text of the description of heaven.

The Catholic Encyclopedia: “In heaven, however, no creature will stand
between God and the soul. He himself will be the immediate object of its vision.
Scripture and theology tell us that the blessed see God face to face.”

The creature that stands between you and God is your "self."

I know its somewhat gnostic, (eastern and western mysticism both teach the
self sacrifice), and my church vigorously rejects gnosticism, but it seems to
work so well.

Each of the elements, father, son, 'wholly' spirit, are there and collapse
into one when the holy spirit fills a man and he abandons his 'self.' God, then
is all that is left. 3 in one.

rich faussette