Re: tinkering God

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 14:28:21 EDT

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:43:47 -0500 Bill Dozier <wddozier@mac.com> writes:

> On the one hand, we have points of view like HvT's, that expect that
>
> an omniscient God would create a "complete" creation that would not
>
> need adjustment or additional input to produce what He plans for it.
>
> If someone, e.g. progressive creationists, IDers, etc., suggest that
>
> God "steps in" to "adjust" creation, then this suggestion is
> dismissed as a suggestion that God made mistakes at the outset and
> is
> now correcting them. This is quite reasonable, but is it the only
> consistent way to look at the problem?
>
> Others suggest that God enjoys "playing" with his creation and that
>
> any "adjustments" He makes were preordained and expected by him. I
> am
> not dismissing this as impossible, but there's little to support it
>
> other than the desire by some to justify their belief in the
> "interventions."
>
> Leaving aside the concept of God being "playful," consider that God
>
> is completely outside of space and time; the concept of his
> intervening "now" as opposed to creating "then" make no sense.
> Suppose instead that the physical aspects of creation are at all
> times what He wants and that the "adjustments" are not "midcourse
> corrections" since from his outside-of-time point of view there is
> no
> time-based "course." If one is simultaneously experiencing all of
> time as "now," the concept of correcting a past error is nonsense.
>
> I'm still more sympathetic to the first view than the second,
> though.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Dozier

What I see is (1) that God is in complete control of creation and (2)
that an omniscient deity does not make mistakes. I hold that our
philosophical theology needs to be consistent with these basic beliefs.

I note also that orthodox theology requires acceptance of scripture as
authoritative. But, because of variations in hermeneutics and a smaller
number in exegesis, there are different doctrines empasized by different
groups. We don't all agree, though we do our best to understand and obey.
Dave