Re: tinkering God

From: Bill Dozier <wddozier@mac.com>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 09:43:47 EDT

On the one hand, we have points of view like HvT's, that expect that
an omniscient God would create a "complete" creation that would not
need adjustment or additional input to produce what He plans for it.
If someone, e.g. progressive creationists, IDers, etc., suggest that
God "steps in" to "adjust" creation, then this suggestion is
dismissed as a suggestion that God made mistakes at the outset and is
now correcting them. This is quite reasonable, but is it the only
consistent way to look at the problem?

Others suggest that God enjoys "playing" with his creation and that
any "adjustments" He makes were preordained and expected by him. I am
not dismissing this as impossible, but there's little to support it
other than the desire by some to justify their belief in the
"interventions."

Leaving aside the concept of God being "playful," consider that God
is completely outside of space and time; the concept of his
intervening "now" as opposed to creating "then" make no sense.
Suppose instead that the physical aspects of creation are at all
times what He wants and that the "adjustments" are not "midcourse
corrections" since from his outside-of-time point of view there is no
time-based "course." If one is simultaneously experiencing all of
time as "now," the concept of correcting a past error is nonsense.

I'm still more sympathetic to the first view than the second, though.

Bill

--
Bill Dozier
http://www.virtualfretnoise.com