Re: God as tinkerer

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 15:09:35 EDT

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:28:39 -0700 (PDT) Bill Hamilton
<williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com> writes:
> Agreed. What I have had in the back of my mind during this entire
> exchange with
> Dave is that he may be trying to constrain God to operate according
> to human
> logic. This is questionable when from the getgo we agree that God is
> outside of
> time. And there are other paradoxes when we try to analyze God. I
> won't repeat
> the old chestnuts, but what about the Heisenberg uncertainty
> principle? We
> can't know simultaneously the position and momentum of a particle.
> Can God?

Great, Bill! So with God, everything must happen--no exceptions. Jesus is
the incarnate Son and he is not the incarnate Son. He can create a rock
so big that he can't lift it. Contrary to the scriptural declaration, God
can lie. So Satan is not the father of lies.

As to uncertainty, it functions as it does because we are restricted to
one-dimensional time, one point at a time, though what we observe may not
correspond to what an observer in movement measures. However, we can
observe not only one point in space, but many. We can move through space.
So, a being with no more than two-dimensional space would similarly see
the hole of time, at least potentially. We don't need to posit a Creator
outside of time who created the space-time continuum.
Dave