Re: tinkering God

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 22:29:34 EDT

Jim,
Now if you will just explain the change of state in eternal spirit. Note
that change involves time, which means that the previous state is
temporal, truly before.

Consider the possibilities with a deity. God is either eternal or not
eternal. In the latter case, as in Neoplatonic emanationism, the world
deity came into being from a greater source. This, in the long run,
requires either an infinite regress of deities or one of the two next
possibilities. (1) God is eternal in the sense of being endlessly
existent in infinite time. This is the province of pantheism and
panentheism. Hindu pantheism has an endless cycle, eternal recurrence,
with the deity being one with the world. I haven't seen that panentheism
has actually addressed the problem, keeping to the current universe. (2)
God is eternal in the sense of being timeless, totally outside of time.
Only under this can he be the creator of time, mass-energy, change--the
total intertwined reality of which we are aware.
Dave

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:00:07 -0700 "Jim Armstrong" <jarmstro@qwest.net>