Re: tinkering God

From: Bill Hamilton <williamehamiltonjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 15:03:08 EDT

Dave wrote: "
If I understand your claim, God isn't smart enough to anticipate the
total consequences, so has to try new things out. Are you joining the
contemporary groups who deny omniscience to the deity?"

Bill:

That's not what I'm arguing at all. God is omniscient, so of course he can anticipate the consequences of any action he takes. What I'm arguing is that he may interact with nature because he _chooses_ to. I have a Panasonic bread maker at home. It makes great bread, but on occasion I decide that just because I want to feel the dough under my hands, I'm going to make a loaf of bread the old-fashioned way. I don't have to make it myself to see what happens -- I _know_ what's going to happen (if I follow the recipe). I just _like_ carrying out the process myself. In any case I think I have the record on my side: God has entered time many times, as with Abraham, Jacob, and of course the incarnation and Christ's life.

To say that he can't be temporal (as well as outside of time) limits him.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.