Re: God the tinkerer

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 10:22:59 EDT

Dave wrote, in part:

"In contrast, God, as viewed orthodoxly, is eternal, thus not in time
except in the incarnation, which involves his eternal purpose. God is
also omniscient and omnipotent."

Three points.

I am not arguing that the concept of a "tinkering" God (better -- a
"playful" God) is true. I don't know that, having far too little
information. But I am pointing out that it is a "live option" that cannot
be disproved.

Secondly, "orthodoxy" should not be a constraint on one's thinking. I am
not convinced that your statement "God is also omniscient and
omnipotent." is one which is coherent (neither do I reject it).

Thirdly, your argument says only that, given the thinking processes of
finite humanity, one is not able to reconcile the two concepts. That may,
or may not, be a true statement; I take no position on it. But assuming
it is true, it is still a moot point.

Cordially

Burgy