Re: agreeing about a mere creation?

From: Keith Miller <kbmill@ksu.edu>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 22:18:55 EDT

Peter wrote:

> Given this post, and those leading to it, I would like to see
> something on
> what folks believe is the meaning of something like
> "God being involved even in processes that are totally natural." In my
> technical work, I have written many lines of code, and executed many
> designs
> of circuits in use today, and I suppose one can say that when those
> lines of
> code are executed or those circuits operate, I am involved - but this
> is
> almost explicitly in a Deistic sense: the code or circuits are doing
> what
> they were intended to do, but I am not "there" and if I were to die
> tomorrow, the code and circuits would continue to function without me.
> I do
> not think this is generally what we have in mind when we speak of God
> being
> involved in His creation, or the creation being upheld by Him. What do
> we
> mean? Is such a statement just a Christian type of political
> correctness?

CREATION: The doctrine that all things have been brought into existence
by God, and owe their continuing being to God.

This definition includes both what is popularly understood as God’s
creative activity and God’s providential (or sustaining) activity. It
is also important to emphasize that from a biblical perspective,
“creation” was not some past event but rather is a present and
continuing reality. I prefer the term "continuous creation" to
describe my view. God is creatively active in the continuous process
of death and renewal (Psalm 104:27-30). God cares and supplies for the
needs of the Creation. As several theologians have commented, if God
were absent the Creation would cease to be. it very existence is
contingent on God's active will.

The doctrine contains no implications concerning the means or
mechanisms by which God’s creative will was and is actualized. The
Bible presents cause-and-effect descriptions as complementary to God’s
purposeful will. God’s action and material or “natural” explanations
are not mutually exclusive. God is Creator and sustainer of all things
and processes. God is as much active in events and processes for
which we have “natural” explanations, as in those for which we
currently have no explanation. God is intimately and actively involved
in what we perceive as “natural’ and “law-governed” processes. God’s
action is not confined to only the gaps in our current understanding.

Keith

Keith B. Miller
Research Assistant Professor
Dept of Geology, Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-3201
785-532-2250
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~kbmill/