Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 16:02:38 EDT

Peter,

Thanks for these thoughts to add to the many.

I'd take issue with one point:

> I agree with Glenn Morton and Dick Fischer that this requirement is not really
> met by relegating the first few Genesis chapters, wholly or in part, to
> categories like myth and allegory.

I don't really like the word "relegating" here as it implies that it's
somehow worth less than the allegory. But when Jesus uses the term
"born again" to Nicodemus, it means and is worth so much MORE than the
rigidly literal meaning ascribed by N (can a man enter his mother's
womb a second time ..).

The first few Genesis chapters may or may not be literal history, but
their real value and teaching to us is surely about spiritual states -
it is the basis of the whole gospel that our Fallen state requires
redemption. Whether that Fall corresponds to an actual historical
event, or whether it's an allegorical tale to illustrate the spirutual
state of all of us, seems not that important, because neither
interpretation gets away from the fact that we ARE fallen, sinful
beings and need the redemption through Christ.

Cheers,
Iain.