Re: Gospel of Thomas: (was How to encourage a former creationist to persevere...

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 07:59:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/2005 10:09:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
d.nield@auckland.ac.nz writes:
The Gnostic documents from Nag Hammadi are generally 2nd C or later,
not 1st C. In fact John Drane (Introduction to the New Testament,
(1999), p. 235) says that the Gospel of Thomas in its present form seems
to date from about the fourth century. Also, "Jesus says" should read
"Jesus is reported as saying".
Don
Jesus' saying is not presented because of the legitimacy or not of the
gnostic texts. It is presented because it is ontologically, theologically and
psychologically correct and constitutes a mirror image of the fall as presented in
genesis.
In psychology, when ontological anxiety is gone, it's because you cease to
be. In theology and ontology, fear and shame are gone when the "self" is gone.

Whether Jesus is reported to say it or not, the statement embodies a perfect
understanding of the "fall" as I've explained it.

It clearly demonstrates that the authors of the gnostic gospel understood the
fall and the redemption the same way it is presented in genesis.
There is no need to date the text to the first century or any century to
appreciate the logic of the statement vis a vis the fall. The gnostic author knew
shame and fear appear with the self and are removed when the self is returned
to God, either through the self sacrifice or death.

When Adam falls, shame and fear appear. Just the OPPOSITE occurs in Jesus'
purported statement. When you return to God, fear and shame disappear. There is
no room for doubt. The author of this gnostic gospel understood genesis
perfectly.

“When you disrobe without being ashamed… you will not be
> afraid.”_^2 _
>

> Jesus’ words in this Nag Hammadi text from 1^st century Egypt dovetail
> perfectly with the nature of the fall in Genesis. The fall brought
> shame/self-consciousness and fear/ontological anxiety. Returning to
> God would remove them."

rich faussette