Re: How to encourage a former creationist to persevere in faith?

From: Carol or John Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 13:19:47 EDT

Iain wrote: "I thought David F. Siemens was closest to my own thoughts
when he said:

>By the way, a God who has to tinker to get things right seems to fit the
>notion that the deity is not bright enough to get it right from the
>beginning. ... '

And this is very much my own feeling. It seems astonishing to me that
God could create a universe that was capable of assembling itself and
lead to creatures complex enough to sense the Creator. That in itself
is enough to marvel at. But I agree that if creation breaks down from
time to time and God has to step in to help it over the tricky bits,
then that doesn't seem so good."

All this ignores a third possibility -- that God likes to "play" with His
creation. It may, or may not, be true -- but it ought not be summarily
dismissed. In such a scenario, God is not "tinkering" to "get things
right" but simply trying out new ideas and possibilities.

Burgy