Re: 666 & 616 (And correction to my last "intelligent design" post)

From: janice matchett <janmatch@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 12:29:27 EDT

For those who are interested:

Atheist Frank Zindler's Panic Buttons - A Critique of "The Real Bible:
Who's Got It?" Sunday, 20 February
2005 http://www.tektonics.org/uz/zindler02.html

"........His last gasp is that "666" reads "616" in some mss. This is quite
true. Most will recognize that 666 is a numeric reference to Nero, as the
Hebrew spelling of "Nero Caesar" -- as found in rabbinic writings and in
one Qumranic document -- renders a 666. But when that name is written out
in Latin, we have a value of 616. 666 as Ronald Reagan? Sorry, wrong
number." For a look at a more sensible eschatology, see our work at
http://www.tektonics.org/eschatology.html

~ Janice PS: Since I would have been over my 4-emails a day limit on
this list, I wrote Dr. Campbell last evening privately correcting an error
in my last email yesterday. Below is a copy of what I sent him: