Re: Rev.13:18 (was Numerics (was Re: Comments on Snoke's approach)

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 15:50:26 EDT

Irenaeus said that there were some manuscripts that said 616 but that he
believed that 666 was the correct reading. He claimed that some people who
had known John personally had confirmed this.

The fact that there are these two different readings lends credence to the
view that early Christians thought it referred to Nero. This
interpretation depended on transliterating Nero Caesar into Hebrew and
evaluating the resulting Hebrew transliteration. When transliterated from
Greek, the value is 666. When transliterated from Latin, it is 616.

John's contemporaries would have been familiar with the fact that 888 is
the number of Jesus's name in Greek and would have been struck by the
comparison between 666 and 888. If, as some claim, 6 represents evil, then
666 is an exceedingly evil number not depending on the use of base 10
since it is the sum of the numbers 1 through 36.

616 also has some interesting factorizations, including 8x77 and 7x88. In
the Bible 77 is associated with vengeance (Gen. 4:24) and forgiveness
(Matt. 18:21,22). It is also the number of generations in the genealogy in
Luke 3 in some manuscripts.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado